Malaysia’s 2024 Pension Payment Schedule Released: What Retirees Need to Know

The anticipation for pension payment dates in 2024 is high among Malaysia’s senior citizens. Those who are nearing retirement or are already retired are particularly keen to know when they can expect their monthly pension payments.

Malaysia’s retirement system ensures that citizens retiring at the standard age receive maximum benefits, though continuing to work post-retirement age is an option.

Malaysia’s Retirement and Pension Regulations

According to Section 4(1), Malaysian citizens are required to retire at the age of 60. This retirement age is relatively lower compared to many other countries. Retiring at 60 is mandatory to qualify for full pension benefits, although seniors have the option to continue working beyond this age if they wish.

There are specific exemptions to the retirement age that can be negotiated with employers beforehand. The first pension payment for the year 2024 is scheduled for 27th February. For detailed pension payment dates, read further.

Understanding the Malaysia Pension Scheme

The pension scheme in Malaysia is funded by contributions, with varying rates based on age.

Citizens around 60 contribute 11%, those aged 60 to 75 contribute 5.5%, and those under 55 contribute a higher percentage of their income. Specifically, individuals below 55 must contribute 70% towards their retirement fund, with the remaining 30% available for monthly expenses.

No employee is compelled to retire early or continue working beyond the standard retirement age. Post-retirement, individuals can decide to keep working if they need to support a family or manage debts.

Monthly Pension Amount for 2024

Permanent residents, survivors, or legal partners who have made requisite contributions during their employment are eligible for the pension.

Retirees receive 60% of their last drawn salary, with a fixed interest rate of 2.5%. The minimum annual pension payment is RM240,000. Retirees can opt for monthly or yearly pension payments.

To claim the pension, retirees must submit identity documents, employment details, salary slips, proof of residency, birth certificates, and income proof to the relevant authorities.

The Public Pension Scheme operates under the Employees Provident Fund Act 1991, where a total contribution of 23% secures the pension benefits. These contributions ensure a sustainable and effective pension system, payable either monthly or yearly.


Retirement Planning in Malaysia

Planning for retirement can be enjoyable and financially rewarding. Investing in schemes like EPF, PRS, and EPF-i is advisable. Private sector employees benefit from the Employees’ Provident Fund based on government regulations, with contributions of 12% from the employee and 3.67% from the employer.

Regularly reviewing accounts and planning for additional savings can help manage monthly expenses. Government credits may also help offset costs. Cooking at home and buying essentials at affordable prices are practical ways to save money.

Malaysia's 2024 Pension Payment Schedule Released: What Retirees Need to Know

Pension Payment Dates for 2024

The government has predetermined the pension payment dates for 2024, subject to specific provisions by the concerned authorities. Payments will be made according to retirement timing, whether early or late. Here are the scheduled dates:

  • 27 February 2024
  • 26 March 2024
  • 26 April 2024
  • 29 May 2024
  • 28 August 2024
  • 25 September 2024
  • 29 October 2024
  • 27 November 2024
  • 27 December 2024

These dates are projected, and retirees are advised to be patient if payments are delayed. To avoid scams, never share sensitive information on unofficial websites. Always refer to the official government portal for updates. Officials are available to assist with any queries and provide resolutions.

Leave a Comment